Energy Efficiency and Grid Integration of Renewable Energy
- Enable grid integration of Renewable Energy and improve Energy Efficiency of the transmission and distribution grids in Bangladesh
The objective of this project to improve the conditions under which stakeholders can integrate solar power into the grid and improve efficiency in the power grid. To achieve the objective with its implementing partners, who are led by the Power Division (Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources; MPEMR), the project is pursuing a multi-stakeholder approach at several levels. It is structured in three components that reflect three levels of intervention:
Component A cooperates with national partners, namely the Sustainable and Renewable Energy Development Authority (SREDA), to create the general conditions needed to integrate solar energy into the grid at macro level. It will focus on developing political and economic instruments and promoting the dialogue between public and private stakeholders.
Component B supports Power Grid Company of Bangladesh (PGCB) by strengthening their technical capabilities as transmission grid operator to integrate solar power into the grid. The core elements here are building capacity for computer-based simulation models and developing scenarios for integrating solar power.
Component C aims to improve the prerequisites for making the distribution grid more efficient in a pilot region with the West Zone Power Distribution Company Ltd (WZPDCL). This work will focus on using smart grid technologies and improving efficiency monitoring.
Field of intervention
- Technical, economical, regulatory and strategical framework
- Cooperation between public and private stakeholders
- Technical training to simulate and manage impact of RE
- Modelling and managing impact of RE
- Smart Grid technologies
- Efficiency Monitoring of distribution grid
- Enableing FC to finance smart grid technologies and RE-Systems
- Electricity clients in Bangladesh
- Public and private stakeholders of the energy sector in Bangladesh
01 April 2018 - 31 January 2022