The conditions for planning and implementing measures to achieve more efficient use of energy in Nepal are improved.
- Market opportunities of EE services and technologies diversified
- Framework conditions for quality enhancement of ICS & IICS are improved
Strategies for Energy Efficiency and Biomass Energy are elaborated.
Nepal Energy Efficiency Programme (NEEP) is being implemented to promote and realize energy efficiency in the country. The Nepali- German programme NEEP is implemented by the Ministry of Energy with technical assistance by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), acting on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). NEEP continues to support the efficient use of energy in Nepal in its second phase from July 2014 to June 2017. The programme assists with the introduction of market based energy efficiency services for the private and public sector, backs the development and introduction of performance for biomass based improved cooking stoves for rural households and provides direct advice and expertise to the government for the establishment of policy and institutional framework to foster energy efficiency in the country.
Field of intervention
- Energy Efficiency Market
- Cook Stoves
- Policy Makers, Commercial and Household Consumers of Electricity
- Establishment of an Energy Efficiency Centre for the promotion of EE in industries, SMEs and public infrastructure and of energy efficiency units in selected district chambers
- Establishment of a first pool of energy auditors (trained to certified standards) for energy audits and advisory services and an energy information system has been set up and banks are willing to finance energy efficiency measures
- The state test laboratory for biomass cooking stoves has been established and new improved types of stoves were introduced.
- Introduction of the first national performance benchmarks for biomass cook stoves which ensure a minimum quality of stoves promoted and disseminated through the Government of Nepal.
- The subject of energy efficiency has been incorporated into the draft national energy strategy.
- The Biomass Energy Strategy has been approved by Nepalese Cabinet.
- The Energy Efficiency Strategy has been prepared for Nepalese cabinet decision.
- The Nepalese cabinet has adopted a decision that allows power from combined heat /power generation by the sugar industry to be fed into the grid.
- A dedicated unit for the preparation of the Nepal Energy Efficiency Action Plan has been established within the Ministry of Energy
December 2017 - April 2021