- Supporting the promotion of renewable energy technologies and energy efficiency measures as feasible alternatives to conventional power generation
- Facilitating business partnerships and the exchange of experience and know-how
- Capacity building for sustainable market development
The Project Development Programme (PDP) implemented by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) supports the Ministry of Energy (MoE) in Thailand in increasing the deployment of renewable energy technologies in the country. Thailand has ambitious policy targets for renewable energy and is the market leader for such technologies in Southeast Asia. Under the current political framework, several initiatives focus on the community level with the goal to promote sustainable energy production on a decentralized level. In accordance with MoEN’s goals, GIZ focuses on increasing the deployment of renewable energy in communities, regions and provinces in Thailand by sharing German experience and know-how. Since especially small and medium sized companies are the carrier of knowledge and technology in this regard, the strategy of the project is to trigger business cooperation between German and Thai companies to develop a Thai-German Community-Based Renewable Energy (CBRE) project jointly with MoEN that combines different renewable energy or intelligent grid technologies, and to develop business models which allow for the local community to directly benefit from the project.
Field of intervention
- Renewable Energy Technologies Promotion
- Business partnership
- Sustainable business models for community-based renewable energy projects
- Thai communities, Thailand’s Ministry of Energy, Thai and German RE companies
- Develop RE Hybrid Grid System Project on Thai Island taking into account the system design, mode of operation with community’s active involvement, technical challenges and sustainable community-based business models.
- Developed investment model to support solar rooftop installation on Nan Town Hall and implementation guideline for solar rooftop projects on public buildings is being developed.
- A series of annual conference on community-based renewable energy projects has been organized to maximize the exchange of communities, renewable energy companies and international experts in order to evaluate latest models and technologies for RE on community level
- Thailand RE Policy factsheet written in English and disseminated as information for interested public in RE sector in Thailand
- Facilitate knowledge and experience exchange within RE sector e.g. RE News Monitoring Service Thailand, trainings by experts such as Thai-German Solar Training Week, Biogas Association Roundtable Talk on Biogas Safety and Market Development in Thailand, study trips in Germany and Thailand, etc. These activities provide exchange platform for Thai and German public and private players in RE sector.
- Policy recommendations to DEDE upon request e.g. advice on Net Metering System Design for Thailand