- Knowledge about using renewable energy for off-grid electrification is institutionalised.
ELREN is a joint project implemented by the Indonesian Directorate General of New Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation (EBTKE) – Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The project’s objective is to institutionalise knowledge about using renewable energy for off-grid electrification in Indonesia. In working towards this objective, ELREN is active at different intervention levels.
It provides advisory support on capacity development for EBTKE on defining standards for the quality and scope of performance for off-grid electrification programmes as well as on monitoring and evaluation. This will allow EBTKE to take on a technical leadership role vis-à-vis other ministries and thus support coordination of the different measures taken by the Indonesian Government with regard to off-grid electrification through RE. The qualitative and the quantitative capacity of the private sector to construct and maintain RE systems for off-grid electrification will be increased at the same time.
Field of intervention
The activities focus on the following areas of intervention:
- Preparation of quality standards for RE off-grid electrification systems in collaboration with relevant government and private actors in the energy sector
- Analysis of existing systems with regards to technical, economic, social, gender, climate and environmental aspects. Building on this: development of a monitoring concept with pilot implementation.
- Capacity building measures for strengthening EBTKE’s role in the planning, implementation and monitoring of rural electrification programmes.
- Development of pre-conditions for the establishment of a functioning and environmentally-friendly service and maintenance structure for RE-based off-grid electrification systems.
- The main target group are villagers in rural communities who do not have access to basic energy services and are excluded from the socio-economic development of the country. Other targeted parties are decision makers of public and private organisations, companies, associations and institutions in applied research and training as participants and beneficiaries of trainings.
01 January 2017 - 30 June 2019