- To improve the efficiency and competence of MRC to supports member countries in matters relating to the management of the basin challenges, especially on hydropower development and climate change
MRC-GIZ cooperation programme is supporting the MRC in promoting hydropower development that duly considers environmental and social aspects and in strengthening its efforts to protect local people from the adverse impacts of climate change. The programme also supports the ongoing institutional transition of the MRC in various areas, such as the structural, financial and staff reforms. It works directly with expert staff and managers in the MRC Secretariat and, as far as possible, encourages the involvement of the national Mekong committees and each country’s ministries for water, energy and environment in its work.
Field of intervention
- Transboundary water management
- Sustainable hydropower development
- Climate change adaptation
- Organisational development
- Stakeholder engagement
- Regional cooperation
- Riparian of Lower Mekong Basin
With the support of the programme, the Commission has made progress in a number of areas:
- Hydropower development plans in the four countries have been assessed for their sustainability. This involved a newly developed assessment and stakeholder engagement tool.
- A network of over 30 universities has been established in the region. This has enabled them to integrate international best practices for the sustainable use of hydropower in their curricula.
- The impacts of climate change on water and related resources in the Mekong basin have been analysed, and a system has been developed to monitor the state of climate change in the region, as well as adaptations to it.
A new streamlined organisational structure has been adopted by MRC. The organisation has downsized its staff according to the core functions that it needs to perform and has revised its human resources and financial policies and procedures. River basin management activities are being transferred to the member countries, according to their financial and technical capacity.
Knowledge Product / Innovations
03 February 2016 - 30 January 2020