- Integrating climate policy and green recovery measures into Indonesia’s National Development Plans
- Strengthening Government of Indonesia’s capacity to represent Indonesia´s priorities at the international climate change negotiations and to contribute to the achievement of Indonesia´s current NDC targets
- Improving Government of Indonesia´s implementation of key biodiversity policy processes
- Strengthening policy dialogue and knowledge management on climate change and biodiversity in general and on IKI activities in particular between the Government of Indonesia and BMU as well as between IKI implementers
The project aims to support the Indonesian government in strengthening the mainstreaming and implementation of its climate and biodiversity policy. Partners are the Ministry of National Development Planning, the Ministry of Environment and Forestry as well as other related line ministries, state and non-state stakeholders at national and subnational levels. Policy advice, capacity building and interministerial exchange will support the advancement of a holistic approach towards climate and biodiversity policy planning and implementation, as well as mainstreaming with national development planning. This is accompanied by mobilizing additional resources from all sources also considering ways to strengthen the engagement of a wider range of financial and private institutions. Also, the project will function as the interface of the International Climate Initiative (IKI) in Indonesia facilitating a political dialogue, networking and communication between project implementers and the Indonesian government.
Approach/Field of intervention
- Institutional capacity building and coordination
- Policy formulation and mainstreaming to National Development Planning
- Low carbon development and green recovery
- Climate negotiations, climate adaptation and mitigation
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting mechanisms for climate and biodiversity
- Financing mechanisms for climate and biodiversity
- Networking and knowledge exchange
The direct target group of the project is the Directorate for Environment under Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) as well as the Directorate General for Climate Change and the Directorate General of Conservation of Natural Resources and Ecosystems under Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK).
Besides, other national government institutions, especially line ministries, the sub-national level and other selected state and non-state actors such as non-governmental organisation (NGOs) and universities are involved in various project activities.
Representatives of IKI-funded projects active in Indonesia and from their partner ministries as well as BMU and political partners responsible for international cooperation/international climate policy will be the target group related to IKI activities.
Projects measures related to biodiversity can have an indirect effect on Indonesia’s citizens that depend on terrestrial and marine ecosystem services.
01 May 2021 - 30 April 2026