Creation of an Overarching Framework for Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) and Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) in Viet Nam
- Provide institutional capacity building for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE) to coordinate, develop and implement NAMAs
- Support to identify and develop two bankable nationally appropriate mitigation actions (NAMAs)
- Support the concept for an online portal for measuring, reporting and verification (MRV Portal)
- Strengthen in-country capacities for international climate negotiations
- Support for the implementation as well as review and update of Viet Nam’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC).
The project “Creation of an Overarching Framework for NAMAs and MRV in Viet Nam” aims at supporting Viet Nam in elaborating an ambitious climate policy and in achieving its ambitious goals in terms of contributing to global mitigation efforts. By supporting the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MONRE), the project will strengthen MONRE’s capacity to coordinate and provide advice to relevant line ministries and stakeholders.
The project thus facilitates the development and implementation of Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs), including a sound Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) system, which are eligible for international support. In result, Viet Nam’s capacities for ambitious reporting will be strengthened and technical support will be provided to MONRE for the concept of an online MRV Portal, which combines emissions (GHG inventories), mitigation actions and policies (e.g. emission reduction efforts from sectoral NAMAs), adaptation actions and support.
The project cooperates with several GIZ global projects to make use of synergies. This includes collaborations with the projects “Information Matters” (IM), which will also support Viet Nam in strengthening in-country capacities for reporting on climate change; “Advancing transport climate strategies” (TraCS), which aims at systematically measuring emissions in the transport sector; “Integrated Air Quality Management and Climate Change Mitigation”, which will contribute the development of effective policies and plans for AQM and GHG emissions reductions; and “Cool Contributions fighting Climate Change” (C4), which will advance nationally determined contributions through climate-friendly cooling.
Field of intervention
- Policy advise on mitigation measures and climate reporting
- Employees of MONRE and other line ministries
- Support the development of Viet Nam’s INDC and the technical report
- Support for the review and update process of Viet Nam’s NDC
- Development of a Low-Carbon Bus NAMA for submission to the NAMA Facility, including in-depth trainings, a consultation workshop for stakeholders, a study tour to China with members of the transport ministry and other key stakeholders to learn from experiences with bus technologies, procurement and the effectiveness of the low carbon bus system development
- Development of a NAMA in the textile sector, aiming at wide-scale uptake of energy-efficiency measures and renewables energies
- Support for the Vietnamese Delegation to organize official side events at the UN’s climate conferences (COP20 in Lima, COP21 in Paris, COP22 in Marrakesh and COP23 in Bonn). In particular, the project provided a significant contribution to the success of Viet Nam´s first ever Pavilion at COP 21 in Paris
- Information dissemination through the organization of workshops, trainings and meetings. Elaboration and provision of guiding materials, factsheets, tools, webinars, etc.
January 2014 - January 2018