Reduce, Reuse, Recycle to Protect the Marine Environment and Coral Reefs (3RproMar)
1) Enhancing the regional cooperation and knowledge management among the representatives of the ASEAN working groups dealing with marine litter and plastic pollution, to reduce land-based sources of marine litter.
2) Developing national measures for waste leakage reduction within the focal AMS as well as their translation into strategies at the local level.
3) Improving requirements for the establishment of private sector efforts along the value chain to reduce waste leakage into the sea.
4) Pilot projects along the value chain from sustainable consumption to enhanced waste collection and recycling will be implemented in selected municipalities. The pilot projects at the national level will lead to best practices, both in the field of policy development and implementation, which will be made available through regional cooperation and exchange formats for national and regional policy advice to support effective implementation and upscaling.
The project 3RproMar aims to support the ASEAN Member States (AMS) in the improvement of implementation capacities for reducing land-based waste leakage to protect the marine environment. The interventions address four focal countries with geographical focus as the main source of marine litter along the Mekong river system (including Viet Nam, Cambodia) and the island states of the Philippines and Indonesia.
Approach/Field of intervention
- Regional cooperation and knowledge management on the topic of reduction of land-based waste leakage into the sea
- Technical expertise for the implementation of national strategies along with their translation into strategies at the local level, ie: EPR, National Action Plan on Marine Debris, and National Policy on Waste Management.
- Collaboration with private and informal sectors to support innovative approaches across stakeholders along the value chain (technical solutions)
- Pilot projects in municipalities with the topic of : Integrated 3R, transboundary plastic waste management, waste prevention and optimization of collection, recycling and utilization of residual waste
- ASEAN Member States (AMS)
- National ministries holding the positions of National Focal Points (NFPs) of ASEAN Working Groups relevant to the intervention
- Private and informal sector organisations
- Sub-national (provincial) and local governments
Highlight activities /Achievements
- Regional Knowledge Management that establishes Regional Knowledge Hub with 3 different knowledge institutions
- Regional Workshop Series
- National Stakeholder Forums (in collaboration with the national partners)
- Technical expertise for the implementation of national strategies to improve the collection and recycling of reusable materials as a contribution to reducing the leakage of waste into the sea
- Pilot projects in local level supporting the reduction of waste leakage into the sea
Cambodia , Indonesia , Philippines , Viet Nam , ASEAN
01 July 2020 - 30 June 2025