- Improve the carbon balance of water and wastewater utilities in Jordan, Mexico, Peru and Thailand
- Introduction of greenhouse gas reducing technologies
Water and wastewater utilities are among the largest consumers of energy in developing countries and emerging economies due to high losses of water (50-60 %) and energy (40 %).The project introduces greenhouse gas-reducing technologies to water and wastewater companies and thereby improves those companies’ CO2 balance. It supports climate protection efforts in the water sector using a cross-sectoral approach known as the ‘urban nexus’, which addresses water, energy and food security in an integrated manner.
In four pilot countries, the project is developing strategies for a climate-resilient and low-emissions water sector. Together with the respective executing agencies, it agrees on measures that take into consideration all components of the urban water system, optimising them for energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
In collaboration with the International Water Association (IWA), the Energy performance and Carbon emissions Assessment and Monitoring (ECAM) tool was developed with which it is possible to estimate potential energy and emissions savings and which, in so doing, makes it possible to measure the water sector’s contribution to climate protection.
In the pilot countries, the project works with experts and managers, advising them on how to improve the policy, regulatory and institutional framework for the integration of emission reduction measures in the water sector. The advice focuses on the wider dissemination of the urban nexus approach, support for the implementation of national mitigation strategies and the introduction of appropriate financing strategies.
Field of intervention
- Project Preparatory Studies (PPS)
- Capacity development trainings and workshops
- Energy efficiency measures in the water sector
- Data, Indicators, MRV
- Water and wastewater utilities
- Population of water and wastewater services
- Development of the Energy performance and Carbon emissions Assessment and Monitoring (ECAM) tool
- Support Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) for water sector
- Capacity building and training
January 2013 - December 2019