The Smart Grids for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Project supports Vietnamese power sector’s experts in developing a smart supply system, which allows for an increased integration of renewable energies and supports greater energy efficiency.
The Smart Grids for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Project supports the Government of Vietnam in the implementation of its Smart Grid Roadmap, which aims to promote the modernization and automation of the national power transmission and distribution system.
The project works closely with the Electricity Regulatory Authority of Vietnam (ERAV), which is a subordinate of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT), to support experts of the Vietnamese power sector in developing a “Smart Grid”, i.e. the digitalization and flexibilization of the power supply system. The smart grid, as a result, will allow integration of an increasing share of renewable energies and supports greater energy efficiency in the country.
The project focuses on three main Action Areas: (1) Legal and Regulatory Framework; (2) Capacity Development and (3) Technology Cooperation.
Approach/Field of intervention
Legal and Regulatory Framework
- Strategic advice on future power system development and establishment of a sector-wide stakeholder dialogue
- Supporting the development of regulations with the emphasis on the grid integration of renewable energies as well as the flexibilization and digitalization of the power system with smart technologies
- Establishing a Knowledge Network on Smart Grid technologies for Vietnamese power system experts. Find more at http://smart-grid.vn/
- Trainings on Smart Grid technologies, innovative power system operation and planning with high shares of renewable energies
- Promoting the application of state-of-the-art Smart Grid technologies
- Intensifying applied research and development, e.g. feasibility tests for smart technology system configurations in laboratories
Policy makers, power corporations, research institutions, universities, experts and professionals
- Gap analysis and review of the regulatory framework for Smart Grid development that enables integration of renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Revision of technical codes for facilitating renewable energy integration
- Promoting implementation of demand response programs
- Smart Grid Week Viet Nam 2019 for knowledge exchange among local and international energy experts.
- First website http://smart-grid.vn/ and Facebook group on Smart Grids https://www.facebook.com/groups/smartgridvn established in Vietnam. The group now has more than 800 members.
- Brief about Smart Grid Week Vietnam in 2019
- vRE Curtailement summary and recommendation in 2020
- Technical assessments of smart grids for renewable energy and energy efficiency in 2020
- Vietnam Academy Day in 2020 (Presentations)
- Proposals of the grid management measures in Vietnam in 2021
- Factsheet Smart Grids for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency
First time national event on smart grid takes place in Vietnam
In early December 2019, GIZ and the Electricity Regulatory Authority of Vietnam (ERAV) hosted the Smart Grid Week Viet Nam in Hanoi, which is the country’s first time large-scale event on the topic.
The Week was a series of workshops, in which the participants discussed trends and vision for Vietnam’s future sustainable power system; exchanged knowledge and experience about smart energy solutions that enable high shares of renewable energy and showcased innovative technologies and applications for the future power system. After the official opening day on 2 December, each following day titled “Power System Innovation Day”, “Smart Grid Symposium Vietnam” and “Future Lab: Internet of Energy” dug deeper into the topic.
Attendance was 300 participants, who were government officials, local and international power system experts, private companies, international development partners, research and academia organizations. Nearly 20 notable speakers from the government, national and international companies, and research institutions delivered their presentations.
The activity is part of the Smart Grids for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (SGREEE) Project, which is jointly implemented by ERAV and GIZ on behalf of the Vietnamese Ministry of Industry and Trade, and BMZ, respectively.
GIZ recommends Vietnam with grid management for optimal operation of renewable energy
Vietnam should consider adopting major solutions for planning and operational grid management if it wants to optimise the operation of renewable energy and make the best use of the clean source in its power system.
The proposals took centre stage in the final workshop ‘Grid management solutions to the optimal operation of renewable energy sources in power system’. GIZ in cooperation with the Electricity Regulatory Authority of Vietnam (ERAV) of the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) virtually hosted the event on 26 August 2021.
After months of research and working with relevant partners in Vietnam, the GIZ-coordinated consultation group finally put forward key measures on the nation’s planning and operation at the event. In term of planning, the most essential proposal should be the issuance of a reasonable feed-in tariff (FIT) mechanism which varies according to region, time or demand. In term of operation, grid-related and market-related measures, and renewable energy feed-in management were recommended.
The event was part of the Smart Grids for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (SGREEE) project, which is implemented by GIZ and the ERAV/MOIT, and financed by BMZ.
July 2017 - June 2022